Norman H Freund – Bombardier


Personal information:

Norman H Freund

Born October 3, 1921 in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin

Home address during WWII: 252 East Cotton Street, Fond du Lac, Wisconsin; this street was a new area in town in the early Twenties.


He went to St. Mary’s School in Fond du Lac: this was the German parish in town. There were also a French and Irish parish. His sisters were educated in German on school; when Norman went to school all lessons were in English.

In their childhood Baseball was very important for Norman and the other kids


He went to Roosevelt High School on Merril Avenue; and later to Goodrich


Father; Albert Freund

Mother: Rose Agnes Freund

Sisters (older): Viola

                           Valeria Wagner Freund (Ray Wagner)

The different in ages between each child was 4 years. Viola was the oldest child, Norman the youngest

“Norman” was a common name at that time, just like Norbert.

Norman had several surnames like ‘Normie’, ‘Norm’, and  ‘Skifoot’(“only because I had a size 11 shoe in 6th grade” Norman told me)


Norman was drafted in September, 1942

  • Fort Sheridan for classification: chosen for Army Air Corps
  • Kessler Field, Biloxie, Mississippi for basic training
  • Truax Field, madison, Wisconsin (close to home address)
  • Jamestown College, Jamestown, North Dakota: Aviation cadet school (piper cubs): only the landing was good, the rest wasn’t: so no good pilot
  • Santa Anna, California
  • Kingman, Arizona for gunnery school (no succes, Norman said)
  • Carlsad, New Mexico: Bombardier training: he became 2nd LT
  • Alexandria Army Air Base, Alexandria, LA for overseas training; crews were made up
  • Kearney, Nebraska: pick up a B-17 and start the trip to England. Route: Goose Bay, Labrador,Greenland, Iceland, Prestwick Scotland.
  • 2 weeks stay in Prestwick, Scotland
  • 1 week stay in Stone, England
  • Framlingham Air Base: arrived at 2 o’clock in the morning and was immediately guided to a barrack and could crawl in bed. “Just then one of the fellows in bed started screaming: ‘They got my brother, they won’t get me!’ On and on he went until the medics arrived and took hi mto the hospital. Welcome to the ETO (European Theatre of Operations). What a confidence builder – that will throw a scare in you!”



Crew # 41 Henry, 569th Bomber Squadron, 390th Bombardment Group, Heavy, 8th Air Force (USAAF)


ASN 36268660

1st LT



35 missions: 

  • 3 missions with another Squadron of the 390th BG: 1 with crew 18, 1 with crew 19, 1 with crew 36,
  • 32 missions with the 569th Bomb Squadron of the 390th BG: 1 with crew 35, 1 with crew 30, 1 with crew 39, 2 with crew 38, 2 with crew 39, 25 with crew 41     


Norman H Freund: “In my first three missions I flew in the tail of the squadron lead ship; my job was to keep the pilot apprised of how the formation was doing and if there were any planes in trouble or straggling. Those missions were uneventful, no fighter plane attacks, and only minor flak. I was then assigned to the 569th Squadron and flew the balance of my tour as a bombardier with 5 different crews, and I never knew which crew I would be flying with until the night before the mission. The next seven missions were not noteworthy, no planes lost and moderate flak, which you hoped all would be like.

     The next mission on November 30, 1944, I’ll never forget that date, was to Merseburg, Germany to bomb synthetic oil yards was a different story. This day I did not have a bombsight as I was to drop propaganda leaflets and scheduled to fly slot below the lead ship of High B Group.  The first division was to lead the bomber stream to attack Merseburg, while the second division was to bomb Zeitz. At the IP (where the bombers made an acute angle in course to commence a straight line to the target)  the haze made recognition difficult. The first division overshot the IP and the second division leader followed. This error, plus a strong tail wind created a situation whereby the second division were 15 miles to the right of course before turning. Instead of cutting into Merseburg flak belt and getting out as soon as possible the 390th was lead across the 86 gun defense of Zeitz and the labor on against a strong head wind, passing the elongated shape of Merseburg flak. The 8th Air Force lost 29 B-17 Fortresses that day and 7 of them belonged to the 390th. While flying on the bomb run our squadron lead ship blew up above us and its wing hit the plane on his right wing and it went down. Our crew then took over the lead of the B Group and I had to determine when to toggle the pamphlets and the rest of the planes in B Group followed suit. The B Group was the only one of three A, B, C to have hit the target area. Our plane got back with only minor flak holes.

     It was a sad day in the squadron on return, with 8 officers in our hut had gone down and new ones would be coming. I changed beds that night and while I lay awake I looked up at the bottom of the overhead shelf and saw a tabling of missions marked on with a series of 5 missions with a slash across and the another 5 etc.  With the total of 34 missions. I had inherred Torrence’s bed and he was the pilot of the plane that exploded above us. He was on his 35th mission. Poor guy. You didn’t need to have the mind of a rocket scientist, just needed simple math considering the number of missions and the percentages of losses to realize the odds of completing a tour was not too likely. I decided the only way to be able to sleep was to realize I could be killed and I really didn’t have too much control determining that – so I put myself in God’s hand. I made every mission a prayer for peace, and it is true you get real religious in combat, I wondered if I would be able to have a son and carry out the Freund name in our direct family. I was able to complete the tour of 35 missions even though 3 of the 5 crews I flew with went down on days I wasn’t scheduled to fly with them, including crew # 30 Gaik. I spent the rest of the year 1945 working in the operations office. Germany finally surrended and we headed to the States in one of Kaiser ships.”





After the War:

Norman Freund:

“I took rapid discharge and stayed in reserves for the required 7 years. Adjusting to civilian life was a little difficult as conversation seemed so unimportant. I wasted little time in deciding what to do with the rest of my life appreciating the fact that my life had been spared. I applied for entrance in Marquette university to major in Electrical Engineering and testing showed that seemed to fit my aptitude and I was accepted to start the next semester in February 1946.”






Norman H Freund

Geboren:  3 oktober, 1921 in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin

Thuisadres tijdens WO2: 252 East Cotton Street, Fond du Lac, Wisconsin; deze straat was in een nieuwe buurt van de stad tijdens de begin twintiger jaren.


Hij ging naar de St. Mary’s School in Fond du Lac: dit was de Duitse parochie in de stad. Er waren tevens een Franse en Ierse parochie. Zijn zussen volgden op school alle lessen helemaal in de Duitse taal; toen Norman naar school ging werden alle lessen inmiddels in het Engels gegeven.

In hun jeugd was Baseball zeer belangrijk voor Norman en de andere kinderen.


Hij ging vervolgens naar de Roosevelt High School aan de Merril Avenue; en later naar Goodrich.



Vader; Albert Freund

Moeder: Rose Agnes Freund

Zussen (ouder): Viola (later Sister M. Rose Agnes)

                             Valeria Wagner Freund (getrouwd met Ray Wagner)

Het verschil in leeftijd tussen elk kind bedroeg 4 jaar. Viola was het oudste kind en Norman het jongste.

“Norman” was een heel gebruikelijke naam in die tijd, net zoals “Norbert”.

Norman had enkele bijnamen zoals  ‘Normie’, ‘Norm’, en  ‘Skifoot’(“alleen maar omdat ik schoenmaat 11 in de zesde klas had”, zo vertelde Norman me)



Norman werd opgeroepen voor militaire dienst in September, 1942

  • Fort Sheridan om ingedeeld te kunnen worden: gekozen voor  Army Air Corps
  • Kessler Field, Biloxie, Mississippi voor basis training
  • Truax Field, Madison, Wisconsin (dicht bij thuis)
  • Jamestown College, Jamestown, North Dakota: Aviation cadet school (piper cubs): ”alleen de landing was goed, de rest niet zo goed: dus geen piloot”, aldus Norman
  • Santa Anna, California
  • Kingman, Arizona voor gunnery school (‘geen succes’, aldus Norman)
  • Carlsad, New Mexico: Bombardier training: hij werd 2nd LT
  • Alexandria Army Air Base, Alexandria, LA voor overzeese training; crews werden samengesteld
  • Kearney, Nebraska: oppikken van een B-17 en klaarmaken voor de reis naar Engeland. Route: Goose Bay, Labrador,Groenland, IJsland, Prestwick Schotland.
  • 2 weeks verblijf in Prestwick, Schotland
  • 1 week verblijf in Stone, Engeland
  • Framlingham Air Base: gearriveerd om 2 uur in de morgen en werd meteen doorgeleid naar een barrrak en kon in bed kruipen. “Juist toen een van de jongens in bed schreeuwde: ‘Ze hebben mijn broer gekregen, maar mij krijgen ze niet!’ Steeds maar weer opnieuw schreeuwde hij dit totdat de verpleegkundigen arriveerden en hem meenamen naar de ziekenboeg. Welkom in de ETO (European Theatre of Operations: Europese inzetgebied).  Wat een vertrouwen bouwer – dat maakt je toch wel angstig!”



Crew # 41 Henry, 569th Bomber Squadron, 390th Bombardment Group, Heavy, 8th Air Force (USAAF)


ASN 36268660

1st LT




35 missies: 

  • 3 missies met een ander Squadron van de 390th BG: 1 met crew 18, 1 met crew 19, 1 met crew 36,
  • 32 missies met de 569th Bomb Squadron van de 390th BG: 1 met crew 35, 1 met crew 30, 1 met crew 39, 2 met crew 38, 2 met crew 39, 25 met crew 41     


Norman H Freund: “Tijdens de eerste 3 missies vloog ik in de staart van het squadron leidende toestel; het was mijn taak om de piloot op de hoogte te houden van de situatie binnen de formatie en door te geven als er vliegtuigen in problemen kwamen of geïsoleerd raken. Deze missies waren niets bijzonders, geen vijandelijke jachtvliegtuigen, en bovendien slechts weinig Flak, luchtafweer. Daarna werd ik toegewezen en overgeplaatst naar het 569th Squadron binnen de 390th BG en ik vloog de rest van mijn ‘tour’ met 5 verschillende crews/bemanningen; ik wist nooit met welke bemanning ik op missie moest tot de avond voorafgaande aan de missie. De volgende 7 missies waren niet noemenswaardig, geen vliegtuigen verloren en matig luchtafweer, zoals je hoopte dat alle missies zouden zijn.  

      De volgende missie op 30 november, 1944, ik zal deze datum nooit vergeten, was naar Merseburg, Duitsland om de olievelden aldaar te bombarderen; dat was een ander verhaal. Deze dag had ik geen dienst als bombardier om bommen te droppen, maar om pamfletten met propaganda af te gooien; wij waren ingeroosterd om als sluitpostonder het leidende vliegtuig van High B Groupte vliegen. De First Division had de taak de bommenwerpers in de aanval op Merseburg te leiden, terwijl de Second Division Zeitz moest bombarderen. Bij het IP (waar de bommenwerpers een acute hoek/draai  in hun koers maakten om in een rechte lijn naar hun doelwit te vliegen) maakte de luchtkwaliteit het moeilijk om het oriëntatiepunt te herkennen.De First Division miste de IP en de leider van de Second Division volgde hen. Deze fout in combinatie met een sterke wind vanachter de staart, creëerde een situatie waarbij de Second Division ongeveer 15 mijlen rechts van hun koers geraakte voor de draai. In plaats van het indraaien naar de luchtafweergebied van Merseburg en er zo snel mogelijk uit te vliegen, werd de 390th precies over de 86 luchtafweerstellingen van Zeitz geleid met als grootste problemen een sterketegenwind en het passeren van delangwerpige vormvanMerseburgflak.De 8th Air Force verloor 29 B-17 Fortresses op deze dag, waarvan er 7 toebehoorden aan de 390th. Terwijl we in de aanvliegroute waren om te bombarderen ontplofte vlak boven ons het toestel van de leider van ons squadron; de vleugel van hun toestel raakte het toestel aan hun rechter vleugelzijde en ook dit toestel stortte neer. Onze bemanning nam vervolgens de leidende rol over Squadron B op zich. Ik had de taak om te bepalen wanneer we de pamfletten moesten droppen en de rest van de B Group volgde ons. De B Group was de enige van de drie groepen (A,B,C) die het doelgebied raakten. Ons tostel kwam terug met slechts weinig flak gaten.

     Het was een trieste dag binnen het Squadron na terugkomst, met 8 neergestorte officieren uit onze ‘hut’ en waarvoor snel vervangingen zouden komen. Ik wisselde van bed die avond en terwijl ik wakker op bed lag keek ik naar boven tegen de bedbodem van het bovenste bed en zag een lijst met geturfde missies in series van 5, en 5 etc. Het totaal stond op 34 missies. Ik had het bed overgenomen van Torrence en hij was de piloot van het boven ons geëxplodeerde toestel. Hij was dus op zijn 35ste missie. Arme kerel. Je hoeft niet de hersenen van een raketgeleerde te hebben, maar slechts een simpel wiskundig inzicht om uit te rekenen wat de kans van succesvol slagen van een complete ‘tour’ is, gezien het grote aantal verliezen op de missies tot nu toe. Ik besloot voor mezelf dat de enige mogelijkheid om goed te slapen was mezelf te realiseren dat er steeds een mogelijkheid aanwezig was dat ik gedood zou kunnen worden en dat ik er zelf weinig vat op zou hebben om het te kunnen voorkomen; dus leg ik mijn lot in de handen van God. Elke missie maakte ik een gebed voor vrede, en geloof me het is echt waar dat je in oorlogstijd gelovig wordt.

     Ik vroeg me afof het voor mij mogelijk zou zijn een zoonop de wereld te zetten endenaamFreundin onzedirectefamilie door te kunnen geven.Uiteindelijk heb ik de ‘tour’ van 35 missies helemaal kunnen volmaken, ondanks het feit dat 3 van de 5 crews waarmee ik vloog neerstortten; dit gebeurde gelukkig opo dagen dat ik niet met hen ingeroosterd was. Een van deze 3 crews was crew # 30 Gaik. De rest van kalenderjaar 1945 deed ik dienst in ‘operations office’. Duitsland gaf zich uiteindelijk over en wij keerden terug naar Amerika in een van de Kaiser schepen.“





Na de oorlog:

Norman Freund:

“Ik nam snel ontslag en bleef als reserve actief gedurende de vereiste 7 jaar. Het was moeilijk te wennen aan het gewone burgerleven aangezien praten niet belangrijk leek te zijn. I besteedde slechts weinig tijd aan het uitzoeken wat ik met mijn verdere leven wilde doen; ik was al zeer tevreden met het feit dat mijn leven tijdens de oorlog gespaard bleef. Ik besloot in te schrijven voor de studie Electrival Engeneering aan de Marquette University; uit testen bleek dat deze studie mij wel zou kunnen liggen en ik werd toegelaten om het volgende semester in februari 1946 te starten.”